Anything west of here “is beyond the Black Stump”
The Black Stump, located behind the State School in Thistle Street, was used for surveying purposes and permanently marks the original Astro Station which was established in 1887. Surveyors placed their transit on the stump for latitude and longitude observations. The stump was used rather than a set of legs because it gave more stability to the transit. At the time any country to the west of Blackall was considered to be “beyond the Black Stump”.