The Ram signifies the importance of the sheep industry for the region and gives its name to the complex that incorporates the living history of the Blackall district. A rail ambulance purchased in 1949 as part of the QATB (Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade) is among many of the displays at Ram Park.
The Blackall Railway Station was moved to its present location after the passenger service was closed in 1992. In 2012 the Blackall Visitor Information centre was relocated to the railway station. Navena Homestead, the Yalleroi School and the Yalleroi Railway station are the other main buildings at Ram Park and house memorabilia relating to the two towns.
Labor Federation Memorial
Located in Short Street the Labor Federation Memorial commemorates the first meeting of the Australian Labor Federation which led to the first shearers' union in December 1886. This group later became the Australian Labor Party.
In 1885 Blackall became the first town in Queensland to sink an artesian bore. The bore, aptly named Pioneer bore, was sunk to a depth of 800 m but was not the first to reach water. The bore along with a replica of the drilling rig, can be seen at the end of Clematis Street along with a mural painted by local artist Bob Wilson.
Fossilised Tree Stump
The fossilised tree stump located in Shamrock Street, which was found on a local property, is a conifer and related to the hoop pines of today. The wood has been preserved by silicification and is believed to be 1 to 225 million years old.
The first Masonic Lodge was formed in Blackall in 1887 and a number of buildings were used until the current Lodge was built in 1908. In 1978 it was approved for listing with the National Trust for its architectural and structural interest.
Major Mitchell Memorial
The Major Mitchell Memorial, located in Shamrock Street, was unveiled 19th September 1946. Thomas Mitchell was the first European to explore the area in 1846, which then led to the area being opened up for settlement. The clock is dedicated to Major Mitchell, Graham Douglas and their aboriginal interrupter Youranigh.
Town Bore No.4
The town's artesian water is supplied from three bores. The water bursts to the surface at a scorching 58°C from the Great Artesian Basin and is pure drinking water. The water flows from the basin under its own pressure and bores are usually drilled to a depth of 800 m. The water temperature in Blackall ranges from is 58 – 63oC therefore a means of cooling water is more important than heating.
Many of the graves in the Blackall Cemetery date back to the late 1800s. In the Blackall cemetery is the grave site of legendary shearer Jack Howe and Roy Dunne. Roy Dunne set a record when he jumped his goat Nugget over 3' 6". A photo of Roy and Nugget is on Roy's headstone.
The Bushman's Hotel was built in 1891 with handmade bricks from the local brick factory near the Barcoo Hotel. The bricks were ‘made from material from a nearby paddock and burned on the banks of the Barcoo'.
‘The Don' mural
"The Don" was painted by local artist Bob Wilson and commemorates George Gill whose wagon "The Don" was one of the last teamster loads of wool to be transported to the rail head in 1924. The mural shows 28 horses carrying 103 bales of wool.
Mr & Mrs Behan's buggy display
Mr Behan made his first sulky when he was about 14 in Wagga and has his collection on display in his garden for visitors to look at. Their buggy display gives Blackall a special charm that wouldn't be seen anywhere else.
Wishing Well at McLean Place
Work on the Blackall Bushman Hotels water reservoir began in 1891 and was completed in 1893. In 2004 the water reservoir (now known as the Wishing Well) was cleaned out by local volunteers and 60 tonnes of rubbish including sewing machines, shoes and bottles were removed.
Muir's Garage is a symbol of a by-gone era. It was built supplementary to the blacksmith's shop in 1924 and was bought in 1931 by Mr John Muir and operated until its closure in 1993. The building is constructed of hard wood timber, bush posts, has an earthen floor and is completely surrounded by corrugated iron.
Blackall Library - Town Quilt and Regional Wood
Inside the Blackall Library marvel at the ingenuity behind the ‘Town Quilt' made by the 60's & Better Group of Blackall and the counter made from timbers found in the Central West region.
Bird and Wild Life
While in Blackall take a stroll along the river and keep an eye out for the wide variety of birdlife that live in or visit the region at different times of the year. A list of sighted birds can be found at the information centre. The most recent new bird recorded was the Pacific Baza.
Idalia National Park
This 144 000 ha park, 113 km south west of Blackall, protects mulga woodlands, the headwaters of the Bulloo River and has a wide variety of wildlife and fauna including the bridled nailtail wallabies. Visit innovative stake stockyards built from the 1920's -30's and wander among the rusty iron and splintered bush timer relics. Camping is permitted at Monks Tank and activities include bird-watching, bush walking, scenic driving and watching wildlife. Camping is also available.